Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 710
2 kstreett 240
3 Guest_9020487 110
4 Guest_9190926 105
5 GoldenKid 100
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 the new window man 80
10 Guest_98024861 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/22/2013

Basement wall has spalling and lateral crack. Who do I call to evaluate?

1908 house

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


From my personal experience in the matter (my cinder block basement wall has cracks, too, but no spalling), you can talk to 3 different types of services to get an idea of how to repair the wall. Although it will cost a bit more for just an initial assessment, I would recommend talking to a structrual engineer first. They'll be able to help determine the type of problem you have, how it may affect the type of basement wall construction you have (cinder block, poured concrete, etc.) and possibly plan/design a repair based on those considerations.
You'll find that the actual solution providers will likely be basement waterproofing or foundation repair companies. If you have the engineeer's plan first, you can make apples to apples comparisons based on that plan. I've heard horror stories of homeowners who accept proposed waterproofing or foundation repairs - to the tune of thousands of dollars - only to later find out the repairs didn't address the problem. Having the engineer's plan first can help avoid that.

Answered 5 years ago by JP

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy