Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 6055
2 Member Services 5175
3 BayAreaAC 480
4 kstreett 240
5 ExteriorUpgrader 165
6 Guest_9020487 110
7 KielH 85
8 Sheltiemama 70
9 jccasper 70
10 Guest_9447448 60

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/26/2013

How to solve problems with a general contractor

My contractor did not complete the job to my satisfaction and refuses to do so. It was a painting job and it was not done well.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers


Have you already paid him?

Answered 1 year ago by BluButterfly


Hello, this is Kiel from Angie's list. Have you left a review on this company yet? If so, you'll want to sign in at and leave a review. You can then follow-up with us for further assistance by contacting our call center at 1-888-944-5478.

Call center hours:

Mon-Fri: 8:30am – 8:15pm ET
Sat: 8:30am – 3:00pm ET

Thanks so much!

Answered 1 year ago by KielH


If you have not given him final payment you have that hold over him.

Angie's List can help with pursuing a dispute with a contractor - call customer service, as Kiel mentioned, though maybe it was not clear to you that there is a formal followup procedure Angie's List will go through to help you with a vendor or contractor you are dissatisfied with.

If he was bonded, you can "call his bond" - file a claim with the bonding company to hire another contractor to come and do the job right, assuming a normal person would agree with you that the job was not done satisfactorily, in a "workmanlike manner" in the parlance of the industry.

If the end run, you always have a lawsuit as an option - perhaps in small claims court in this case assuming this was not a major painting job.

Answered 1 year ago by LCD


Contact the California State Licensing Board (CSLB) or your state licensing board, once you do this, action is swift. no need to contact anyone else, as this is what they are there for.

Answered 10 months ago by sethbonilla

Related Questions