Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/16/2016

I'm in a BR above a garage. After a rain, the smell of wet grass is too strong! Even when its sunny. Help?

I do have a window ac unit that i use on very hot days. I've checked all vents, windows, anything I could think of, no mold or mildew, the wood had old water damage from a year ago that since dried up, but it doesn't have an odor (literally put my nose to it) but after a good rainstorm this smell is so strong its taking lysol sprays to get it covered. It's giving me pain in my jaw. Please what am I missing?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


Voted Best Answer
1
Vote

First - don't mask smells with Lysol - bad for your lungs and mucous membranes. OK to actually disinfect a contaminated/stinky surface with it, but spraying it around the room and breathing it in - not good.


After a rain, smell at other windows and outside - if you smell it everywhere, then undoubtedly wet grass, or someone piling grass cuttings up that are going stinky and slimy - walk around property perimeter and see if drifting in from adjacent property.


If ONLY smelled when using A/C, then the evaporator coil and/or drip pan need to be cleaned - you may well have a mold farm going on in there, or the condensate line/drain may be plugged up and dripping water into the wall, causing insulation and wood mold and rot, though that smell would persist longer (many hours or even days after A/C use) then just a moldy evaporator coil or pan, which would normally drop off in intensity in a couple of hours as it dries out (assuming ambient humidty is not excessive).


One thing on the A/C - if smell comes from it starting a minute or few after it cranks up, not only does lint and dust on it promote mold growth - but short cycling also does that because it does not have time to evaporate/drain the moisture off the coil - so if it has different power settings (as opposed to thermostat) run it at the lowest one that achieves the needed cooling, so it has enough time to clear out the moisture better.


Check owner's manual on coil cleaning - or call a Heating and A/C tech to clean it for you - probably about $75-150 charge depending on local labor costs.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy