Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 1905
2 kstreett 240
3 Guest_9020487 110
4 Guest_9190926 105
5 GoldenKid 100
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/4/2014

I need to replace the bottom of cabinet under kitchen sink due to water damage. Whom should I hire ?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!

Voted Best Answer

If only the bottom liner piece - the plywood insert that forms the bottom of the under-sink cabinet - a Handyman should be able to do that. If only damaged by water (stained,slight delamination) you might just overlay it with a piece of plywood or linoleum or such. Cost probably about $150-200 depending largely on whether he has to go buy material or happens to have scrap laying around that will work.

If you mean the base of the cabinet (the inset plywood supporting part - about 4-6 inches high typically) is damaged such that the cabinet would normally have to be taken out to repair it, then likely a cabinet installer. If you have solid surface countertop (Corian, marble, granite, etc) it will cost a LOT to take that off and put it back on properly aqnd you risk breaking it, so in that event in-place repair by cutting out pieces of the cabinet base one side at a time and replacing with a screwed-in-place new base section is what I would do, with the front (toe kick) piece being veneered or hardwood or whatever is appropriate for appearance.

If damage is severe, I have done jobs where a cabinet was cut up in place to remove it (supporting the countertop as appropriate in the meantime, then a new cabinet custom made to slip in. Then the cabinet is slipped in under the edge of the countertop and shimmed up to proper height as necessary, with new shimming to support the countertop put on top. If the countertop has a drop edge (front edge is below the bottom of the main "field" of the countertop surface) the base can be built separately and slid in after the cabinet is in place, then fastened to it, or the cabinet can be built a bit low, then a front facade put across the bottom to conceal the shimming gap under it to bring it up tight under the countertop.

If the bottom parts of the plywood sides are damaged, as long as they are not actually rotted or heavily mildewed, I would make sure they are thoroughly dry, then just coer the inside surfaces with a gllued-on overlay like veneer or laminate countertop surface or such, with the front surfaces being veneered as appropriate.

New cabinet construction and installation for one piece, including demounting and remounting the sink and faucet and such as necessary, probably in the $700-1000 range for normal cabinets, more for high-end. If needs to be two-piece to fit it in add another $100-200.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy