Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/16/2017

dhs
I have a strong gas smell when my older ventless fireplace is on. This is something new. What does this indicate?

The fireplace is about 20 years old. The gas smell has never been this strong. We clean the fireplace and components every year. There is no odor when the fireplace is off. What could be the issue? Do these systems stop working?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


2 Answers

0
Votes

Here are a few similar previous questions with answers FYI too -


http://answers.angieslist.com/Who-fix...


http://answers.angieslist.com/who-I-c...


http://answers.angieslist.com/Who-fix...


http://answers.angieslist.com/Do-gas-...


Might be smart to schedule a cleaning at the same time, for less incremental cost than if you schedule it separately another time, if about time again.


And yes, this is common - the valve mechanisms, seals and gaskets, thread dope or tape, etc all deteriorate with time - more so if the firebox is damp as is common with gas fireplaces after they shut off (because a major component of the exhaust gas is water vapor), so rusting can also cause gasline and burner leakage. A particularly common leakage point is the gas control valve which, with frequent use, can develop a leak around the moving stem or cylinder of the valve, resulting in a slight leak from the valve - sometimes continuous, sometimes only when non, depending on where the leak is.


You say it has "never been this strong" implying it is fairly strong - I would shut off the power to it and the gas shutoff valve outside the appliance and not use it till fixed by a Heating and A/C contractor or a Plumber (or Gas Fitter if in one of the few states where all gas wrok has to be done by them) - because once you have seen a gas stove/fireplace blow up from being ignited with it full of gas, you will never mess around with even a tiny gas leak smell again - if you survive the hail of metal fragments and glass shards.

Answered 1 year ago by LCD

0
Votes

Hi,

This is Erick in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated Chimney Repair providers to look into this, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting www.angieslist.com or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 1 year ago by Member Services




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy