Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/4/2017

In the last 2 years we have a smell in our condo smells like cigarette smoke it starts in garage into the 1st floor

We do not smoke. We have a dehumidifier in basement. I get headaches and sinus problems

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


1 Answer

0
Votes

Smell around the dehumidifier and the furnace/furnace ducts to see if it is an overheating dehumidifier or old cigarette smoke in the ducts.


Here is a link to a question with answer on old smoke in ducts FYI:


http://answers.angieslist.com/my-duct...


Otherwise, smell around the furnace and any air handler for smells of overheating plastic - or could be smell from the A/C evaporator coil (if in central air system) or smell from an ozone or black light mold control system at the A/C evaporator.


Otherwise I would be looking for airflow sources from smokers in neighboring units - or perhaps a nieghbor going outside to smoke and that smoke is coming into your garage - when you smell it check around outside for a possible external source, and sniff around the garage early in the episode to see if you can smell it coming in through an opening somewhere in the garage.


Other possible source - though this would be evident frequently and probably anytime the humidity is high (like in rainy periods) would be burnt wood or smoke-infused material in the garage which was not removed in after-fire remediation but the drywall and paint was redone so you do not see it. Removing outlet cover plates (carefully so as to not zap yourself) and carefully sniffing at the outlet (maybe through cardboard paper towel or gift wrap tube) might tell you if the smell is coming out of the innards of the walls.

Answered 1 year ago by LCD




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy