Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 2450
2 kstreett 240
3 Guest_9020487 110
4 Guest_9190926 105
5 GoldenKid 100
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/31/2013

Mushrooms and mold in my basement

There is mold and mushrooms in one area of my basement. I had one guy come to my house and he looked at it and sent me an estimate for $5,600. Is there anything I can do which would be cheaper?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


2 Answers

1
Vote

Maybe start a french restaurant ? If it's wet enough, add some frogs for frog legs with mushroom sauce ?

Seriously, you have a real advanced situation here if mushrooms are growing. I am presuming you have exposed dirt in the basement - like a crawl space or something ?

You need to ultimately do four things to solve this problem - eliminate the source of the water that is supporting growth of mold and mushrooms, kill the mold and mushrooms and their spores, remove or cover (with a water resistant barrier) all dirt, and in all likelihood improve dehumidification (with ventilation and dehumidifier) to continue to remove moisture in the future to keep it below about 50-60% humidity, which is where mold and fungi start to thrive.

For starters. here are links to answers to similar (though most are less advanced) questions along similar lines, to get you thinking along the lines of how to delineate your specific problem:

http://answers.angieslist.com/What-ri...

http://answers.angieslist.com/who-con...

http://answers.angieslist.com/We-111-...

http://answers.angieslist.com/Is-wate...

http://answers.angieslist.com/There-w...

http://answers.angieslist.com/If-isn-...

http://answers.angieslist.com/What-de...

http://answers.angieslist.com/I-water...


It would also help if you could answer back to thhis question with some more details (listed below) so users can provide you with more specificd suggestions on how to solve your problem. However, considering the extent of your problem, the estimate provided sounds like it is likely to be in the general ballpark:

1) is this a new problem, or ongoing for as long as you have owned the house ?

2) is there exposed dirt in the area you are talking about, is it a crawl space connecting to a basement, totally crawl space, or full basement with concrete or block walls and concrete slab floor, or what

3) how large a basement area are we talking about, and how many square feet are growing mushrooms

4) is there visible water in the basement or on the basement walls, and if so what is the highest level it appears at (top of foundation wall, cracks in wall, halfway down generally, at slab joint, or what

5) do you have an open drainage ditch or channel around the perimeter of the slab, and does it usually have water in it

6) do you commonly have standing water outside the foundation more than 1/2 hour after rain stops

7) do you have a sump pump

8) are floor joists, bases of wood walls, etc in the basement moldy or mildewy

9) where is the mushroomy area relative to the house - under what room, what is directly outside that area, and is it a high or low side of the house, and does ground outside that area slope toward the house or away from it

10) do you have a watering system or sprinkler that water near the mushroomy side of the house

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

0
Votes

I'm assuming taht your basement is not a crawl space.

The solution to any problem is a root cause analysis - in this case, mold and mushrooms grow and propogate in continually damp, low or no light, with a source of rotting organic material (can be damp wood, drywall, celulose insulation, etc which is the food source for the fungi). The solution is to cut off any one or more of the propogation mediums - dampness, food, etc. The first step is mitigation - kill the fungi with a mild solution of sodium hypochlorite (grand word for bleach!) - CAUTION - bleach will exude chlorine fumes - the active ingredient that kills bacteria - which is why they chlorinate drinking water - SO VENTILATE THE AREAS YOU ARE SPRAYING THE BLEACH SOLUTION ON!!!!. Next step is to stop the spread of the fungi - CLEAN UP! Including all surounding areas where the fungi is - look behind, above and below.

Final step is remediation - remove and replace all damp material, ventilate the basement with a souce of fresh air (a blower or fan like an attic fan is ideal) and add light (light may not be continuous but light up the basement at least once a day).


If you don't want to do this yourself, call SERVPRO they remediate for a reasonable fee and are probably the best in the business and are nationwide. But SERVPRO cannot help it if you don't continuously monitor and apply the remediation notes in Step 3 above.

Source: Common sense.

Answered 4 years ago by Guest_98682372




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy