Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 320
2 kstreett 240
3 Guest_9020487 110
4 Guest_9190926 105
5 GoldenKid 100
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/21/2014

Plumbing Work Failed Township Inspection. Who pays to get in compliance?

Plumber (subcontractor for the GC) did his portion of the job for us. The township inspector failed the work. Our town requires an over pressure relief system and because we are going from copper to these new plastic tube things, we need a pressure regulator (to reduce pressure). Plumber wants to change me for this work. My thought is he is the expert and should know the rules of the township. I shouldn’t pay for his ignorance.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

8 Answers


Well , the readers , ME included , have absolutely NO IDEA as to a Township ,where it exists, where in the world it is located or absolutely anything else about IT !

For all we know , you are located in Mesopotamia ? Probably not ,but we do not know !

So , lets get to the point . Was Specifications issued for the job that the General Contractor Bid ? IN , the Specifications issued , Was , mention of a "Pressure regulating valve or regulator "ever made ,or,requirements made that a particular code be followed ?

Where , specifically are the " Township Rules " issued or published , or are they listed at all ?

DID , the general contractor have access to these rules ,and were they Published for all to see and read ?

Are the rules compliant with your state or UBC Plumbing CODE regarding this Pressure regulator and it's requirement ?

Again , we got NO IDEA , where you are located , so this is gonna preclude a lot of folk from being able to wiegh in , one side or the other !

NOW , Once all of these questions are answered , only then will the readers be able to wiegh in and give response to your question.

Therefore , my suggestion is that you dig deep , provide sufficient answers to these questions , and then allow the readership to pass judgement or cast votes as to the validity of your questions . These would be the basic questions any judge would ask should the case be presented legally !

Answered 4 years ago by BentheBuilder


OK guess generalized questions don’t work so here is more information. Your input appreciated.

Location: Rutherford, New Jersey, USA

Contract (with GC): No township plumbing specifications included or published in the contract. The only statement I have related to inspection is final payment will be provided after successfully inspection by the township.

Plumbing: No mention of pressure regulators, etc in the contract as we did not know that was a requirement by the town. I would have assumed the GC or plumber knew and factored the overall price since they are doing all the work.

Summary: Plumber came in, as per architect plans installed new piping. Township Inspector came and we failed inspection. Basically stating we need to bring the system up to code:

1. We need to install pressure relief system.

2. Because the plumber decided to make the plumbing addition using material other than copper piping we need to put in a pressure regulator (to reduce pressure) as the new plastic pipes cannot handle the PSI.

Plumber came back and made our system compliant with Rutherford code. We passed inspection. Plumber presented GC, who presented me with the cost of all the above. I would assume number 1 above is my problem and I have to pay. My question is Number 2. Given what I stated is the plumber’s responsible as his work needs to be to code? Is it his responsibility to know the code and factor that into the price?

I’ll take a look to see if the township publishers their rules on the web. I do know if you go to the township office they have them there. What other info would help when you review and/or provide input?

Answered 4 years ago by Guest_93204251


1) You should not be dealing with the plumber on this at all - it is the GC's problem, and HE is the one responsible for seeing the work by subcontractors is done to code and meets inspection, and for the agreed contract amount.

2) Assuming this is a whole house replumb with PEX replacing copper, then the need for a regulator should have been known to the plumber when he bid the job, so should be considered "in scope" and not cause for a change order. It is his responsibility to do the job to code, and if your service line pressures in your town are such that it exceeds safe limit for PEX or township requires a regulator, he should have known and bid that, as you say.

3) Talk to your GC - I don't see why the fuss in the first place, because putting a pressure regulator in should cost about $70 parts in most areas (around $150 if township requires fully adjustable rather than single-setting one), and maybe 5-15 minutes labor.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


As a General Contractor that has been in business since 1975 I have always relied on my sub contractors to know the code for the trade they are doing as I am for mine. By taking out the permits I am saying I will comply with all laws and codes pertaining to the job and the same goes for the subs as in my state I can not fill out permits for the electric, plumbing and other work I am not licensed for so they have to file for them. Your plumbing contractor or your GC's sub should have know about all requirements and codes for the places he works even if it changes from town to town. In this state (NJ) the permit placard even states final payment is not to be made untill final inspections are done and passed. Your plumber could have used copper and chose to use the plastic piping because it was cheaper than copper in todays market and it is way faster to install. I have no problem with my plumber using it but I also know he is saving time and money by doing so and his prices have not dropped by using it so if you do have a town code that requires it he should suck it up and put in the regulator and think of it as an education for the next time he works in this town. It could be this town has higher than average water pressure or it is a code that many towns do not enforce but is this inspectors pet code violation to look for.

I do not think you should have to pay any extras for this!


Answered 4 years ago by ContractorDon


OKAY , and as Usuall , LCD saves the day.

Marvelous answer my friend and most importantly , most concise and straight to the point.

I have been accused of being too legalistic , and not seeing the simplistic side of things , ohh well , just another one of my flaws . Fortunately LCD was able to cut strait to the point and get around the clutter .

Keep UP the good work !

Answered 4 years ago by BentheBuilder


Gee, Ben - thanks - usually I am the one accused of being legalistic and too long-winded and technical because I don't know what level of knowledge the questioner is coming from, so I tend to try to detail it out enough to be a complete answer to them.

Maybe it is like a sort of web virus - migrates between the various responders as time goes by, and today was my day to keep it short and concise.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


To all those that answered my question, REALLY appreciate your input. Thanks!


Answered 4 years ago by Guest_93204251


Thank you for your reply back, Paul - so many times we provide input here but don't have any way of knowing if it actually aas seen by the questioner, if it helped or not, or if they had follow-up questions that went unanswered. Nice to get "closure" on a question thread.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy