Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/21/2011

True you can use white vinegar to kill weeds?

I've read you can use undiluted white vinegar to kill weeds in areas where pets and children roam. Does it work as fast or last as long as a commercial spray like RoundUp?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


3 Answers

0
Votes

"Use undiluted white vinegar to kill weeds in areas where pets and children roam."

I am a Master Gardener, and I have never heard of vinegar killing weeds. I do know it would seriously affect the pH of the soil where it was used, perhaps for years to come.

I also garden organically, and I use Roundup because 1) it works and 2) it breaks down into utterly harmless chemical components within hours of being sprayed - once it's dry, in fact. If you can keep children or animals from eating vegetation sprayed with Roundup until it's dry, there is no danger at all.

Answered 7 years ago by Commonsense

0
Votes

Round Up is a close cousin to the cancer causing vegetation killer indiscriminatgely and generously used during the Nam war.

Another cousin of the current RoundUp was used by the Feds to eradicate vegetation in many western states - until birth defects could no longer be ignored.

IMHO, an "organic gardner" would never recommend using a known toxin

The state & the feds tested the soil and the produce for nearly 10 years before a friends farm was finally certified as ORGANIC because the original farmer used toxins claimed to be "safe"

Answered 7 years ago by tessa89

0
Votes

"IMHO, an "organic gardener" would never recomomend using a known toxin."

Almost anything can be a "toxin." If you put an ounce of dishwashing detergent into a pond the fish die. Does that make dishwashing liquid a "toxin?" Ask the fish. Drink enough water and you will die. Does that make water a toxin?

I realized Roundup was a "toxin" when I bought it to kill vegetation.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and I have nothing to gain by arguing. Any responsible consumer will do his or her research before making purchases. Anyone who wants information can Google "Roundup Agent Orange" and see what the issues are.


Answered 7 years ago by Commonsense




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy