Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 LCD 480
2 kstreett 240
3 Guest_9020487 110
4 Guest_9190926 105
5 GoldenKid 100
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/3/2015

can you install a free standing stove in place of a slide in?

Already have replaced countertops and a tile backsplash. Due to cost, want to know if countertops can be cut to allow a freestanding stove in place of a slide in.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


You would need to get one whose clearance (front and sides) would be adequate - commonly they require an inch or more back clearance, and about 1/2 to 1" side clearance commonly for fire safety. The slide-in commonly has this because the top is wider to fit tight to the countertop. However, both come in the same basic cabinet opening sizes, so as long as the air gaps are adequate with the model you choose, you should be good to go, though if your slide-in had the usual built-in countertop piece at the back gap it may have to come out so your free-standing unit does not stick out into the room in front of the counters. A few manufacturers make smaller free-standing units to overcome this type of spacing restriction on change-overs.

Countertops can be cut back if needed and new end caps put on them if not solid material - of course, easier if not stone/concrete, and if cutting back the overhang is not enough then cabinet modification would be needed, which tends to get messy because the cabinet generally needs to come out, which means at least freeing up and shimming up the countertop, if not removing it entirely to get the cabinet out.

For many types of countertop it may have to be removed and swung at least part way out to be able to do a quality cut all the way to the back, depending on whether the cutback will be beyond the top of the cabinets (like with some free-standing to slide-in conversions) and on whether the contractor has a portable large-diameter extended-reach open-blade cutoff saw that can handle the material you have without moving the countertop away from the wall. Only the larger companies tend to have those because they run over $1000 and are rarely needed, or have to be disassembled and brought from the shop if normally used for shop fabrication of countertops.

For countertop cutback ONLY a Countertop contractor would be your Search the List category - if cabinet(s) need resizing too, then I would go with a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath General Contractor.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD


Flagged to Angies List to change category - this should be listed under Countertops and under Appliances - large because it relates to kitchen stoves, not Fireplaces.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy