Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/26/2016

half of my house has lights and halfdoesn't

I've already changed the breakers

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


2 Answers

1
Vote

Undoubtedly ditto for outlets, and full or partial failure to operate on 220/240V appliances too. Almost certainly one of the two live conductors on your 220/240V service, or a bus bar in the breaker box, has come disconnected - or if adjacent neighbors have the same problem, the power utility has lost a line or has a partial transformer failure or such.


Another possibility is a "half-trip" on a main breaker - both linked (paired) breakers are supposed to trip together but do not always do so, or sometimes one has an internal flaw that fails without tripping the breaker. Unless you KNOW you had a short that tripped the main breaker, and it has been fixed, I do not recommend resetting a half-trip breaker - because if it has failed inside and then short circuits when you reset it you now have no way to turn the power off, and can cause a fire - a 100 to 200A short circuit can do nasty things to your electrical wiring and to your house, and it is a long 15-30 minutes (more in some areas) before the fire department or utility truck can come to handle it.


Here are a couple of links to prior similar questions with answers with more details - Electrical would be the Search the List category for repair contractor, and you should avoid using electricity as much as possible in the house till fixed - especially any 220/240V appliances like electric range, clothes dryer, water heater, furnace, electric car plug-in, etc, or any high-amperage things like heaters, hair dryers, microwave, etc. because if it is an intermittent wiring connection can heat up and cause a fire - I have seen this happen a number of times. This is a fix it ASAP issue, not wait a week till convenient thing.


http://answers.angieslist.com/Multipl...


http://answers.angieslist.com/one-cir...


Answered 2 years ago by LCD

0
Votes

If you call the power company and they send someone but they don't fix it then have them remove the lock (if any) from the electric meter before they leave. This way, the electrican can go to work without having to wait for another visit from the power company to remove the lock.

Source: http://kestrelelectric.com

Answered 2 years ago by Kestrel Electric




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy