Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/10/2014

we had basement treated for mold, now there is a chemical smell, how do i get rid of that

our basement was treated for mold about 3months ago and now our basement still smells like a chemical

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


1 Answer

0
Votes

I presume you know what mold/mildew smell like, so it is not that ?


Also, presume you have not had an insecticide or pest treatment done in the interim that could be smelling stronger in heat or humidity of summer ?


I would call the person who did it and ask them what they used and why the smell is hanging around so long - could be a petroleum-based cleaner and they washed it into the sump pump sump or into the crack around the slab so it is not continually outgassing ? Is also possible they sprayed on a mold killer that is now outgassing because the surfaces are once again to humid and are surface wet, releasing the chemicals - which would be heading to mold again.


Presumably is going to take a good thorough washing of all treated surfaces with a wash solution - I use a couple cups chlorine bleach, a good squirt of Dawn dish soap, and a cup of Borax powder (pure Borax, NOT Boraxo soap) in a regular bucket - about 2-3 gallons of warm water. The bleach kills mold and mildew and most organic smell sources, the soap degreases and removes surface residue, and the borax (which is a usual "freshening" component in powdered laundry detergent) absorbs smells and the portion left on the wall also acts to retard mildew/mold growth. Be sure to ventilate well during and after this, for several days, so you do not repromote mold growth by letting the washing water vapor stay in the basement. In humid weather may take a week of ventilation if not air conditioned space - typically about 2-3 days if air conditioned. Use large fans to ensure constant air movement aroundthe room and along walls and floor to promote evaporation of the wash water.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy