Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/13/2018

why do prongs get very hot when only used about 10 mins

This is on my hoover upright vacuum . Only does it on one receptical .

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


1 Answer

0
Votes

If only heating up on one outlet, then that outlet has poor contact with the prongs inside so the increased electrical resistance (from contact at only a small area or point rather than over a broad area of the prongs) is causing heating - the internal contacts have been bent or something is defective or broken, and it should be replaced (or at least not used for any high-amperage device like vacuum). If heating up significantly it is also pulling power which should be going to the vacuum, so at that outlet the vacuum would not be working as powerfully either.


Another possibility is a bad wiring connection from the household wiring to the receptable - or the wires were "stabbed" into the contact holes in the back instead of being properly wrapped around the mounting screws. Stabbed connections have a very small contact area so can result in severe overheating of the receptable - in my opinion they should be outlawed. Fine for table lamp and clock radio and such but plug a hair dryer or vacuum or countertop appliance into one connected that way and it is an invitation to trouble.

Answered 9 months ago by LCD




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy