Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/8/2016

2 places on my hardwood floor are higher almost like walking on a small mound. What type of contractor do I need?

2 places on my hardwood floor are higher almost like walking on a small mound. What type of contractor do I need?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Assuming you do not have a leak issue so what you are seeing is from swelling of subfloor or the flooring. Also assuming this is new, not something from long ago or before you bought the house - which could be from uneven subflooring.

If a gradual doming, might be they did not leave enough open space around the edges. If you can see to the edge of the wall or probe in under the baseboard with a bent paper clip or such, there should be about 1/4" gap between the edge of the flooring and the wall all around the room (or gap may be all at 2 adjacent sides if a floating floor and it has closed up tight at one or two walls) - if it is tight at opposite walls (one way or both across room) then it might be buckling up as it expands with higher humidity. Most commonly shows up as a ridge rather than a rounded mound if this is the cause, and generally if you walk on it the "ridge" will migrate under your feet to another place nearby - can actually move as a "wave" as you walk across the room perpendicular to it if you take shuffling baby steps so you drive the arch ahead of you. If it does that, then definitely to tight at the edges. If the "mound" does not migrate when you step on it, likely something under the flooring - or a broken joint if the surface is mismatched at a joint.

If it feels like a small mound - more like a pebble under the flooring, then more likely is a nail or screw that has broken off or worked its way up under the flooring (assuming this is new so it is not a tool or piece of cutoff flooring left under the flooring when it was installed).

Flooring is the Search the List category for a contractor to look at this - will commonly mean either removing baseboard trim and cutting an expansion gap along the wall(s) if it was installed too tightly, or removing flooring to get at what is causing the bulge under the floor. Sometimes, with expensive nailed-down or glued-down flooring, it is easiear (if simple drywall ceiling or open basement joists under this) to carefully determine the location through the flooring (commonly by drilling a tiny hole in a joint corner down through the subfloor so the drill bit shows onthe level below) then coring a hole in the subfloor to see wht the problem is and hopefully remove it.

Of course, if on concrete that does not work - and also the cause might in that case be a popout from the concete sitting askew under the flooring, and has to be accessed from the top by removing some flooring.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy