Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/21/2016

4"x12"x21' wood beam with 3/8" steel two sided bolt wrap strenght

Beam now has post at center of 21' run , I want to remove post . The beam is 4' out from exterior wall with a 44" over hang to gutter. The roof system is 2x4 truss. I want to wrap the beam with 3/8" steel two sides an thru bolt. Then remove the post .

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


You need a Structural Engineer (your Search the List category) to look at the current design and loads and what can be done - both with respect to load carrying capacity, lateral buckling stability, and bolting or nailing pattern needed for any coverplates or plywood supplements or whatever works best. Cost probably around $300-500 depending on difficulty of determining current loads on it and getting accurate measurements of various elements bearing on it.

Also to be considered - since you said at least part of beamm (maybe all - I am not clear on that) is outside - MAJOR consideration of water protection, because an exposed wood beam can dry out after wettings, but put metal plates on it and you are trapping water and cause rot under the plates - SOOOO many highway and recreation and parks designers have found this out the hard way with pretty wood bridges built outside that start rotting in just a year or few, especially if untreated wood as your beam likely is. Of course, risk of it getting wet with any frequency is a mjaor factor in the design.

Consider also the simple matter of getting it up there, if looking at DIY - because you are looking at about 320# per plate - and yes, in almost all cases like this plates will have to be single-piece and continuous. One reason plywood is commonly used if not in exterior or damp location.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated Structural Engineers from the List, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays. Make sure you ask our Member Care Team about our new membership options! We are open from 8am to 9pm on Mondays through Fridays and until 5pm on Saturdays. Our phone number is 888-944-5478.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy