Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/21/2017

*Adding a Tiny Home to Property* Existing home has electric, estimated cost to add box for tiny home?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


First, hope you have checked with Planning and Zoning whether this is even legal for your area as adding a second residence on a property commonly requires legally subdividing the property first, into two legal lots - if it is big enough to do that for your zoning classification. Some areas do allow in-law apartments and such - though usually only above detached garages, not a as a separate building.

Then, check with your utility on whether this can be fed from your current service - if going to be a separate "house" with different owneror renter almost always it needs a separate utility "drop" or feed and new meter for it, totally separate from your house, which commonly runs a thousand to three utility cost NOT including the wiring and distribution/breaker panel for the tiny home itself. But can be zero with some utilities which figure they will recoup the cost in billings, and others charge a LOT - as much as $5,000-15,000 for a new service installation. Some charge only if they have to upgrade the service to your transformer (which commonly serves 2-6 homes), but will do it cheap or for free if it just needs a new drop from the transformer and a new meter (you normally have your electrician provide the meter box before the electric company comes to do their install).

If this is going to be a subsidiary building running off your meter (under common ownership and billing with the home using only one meter), then commonly in the $1000-2000 range (assuming located close to house) to put in a tap on the existing line (assuming it has the capacity for the added load - probably would be a 100A service, maybe 150-200A if going to be all-electric heat and dryer and range and such and A/C is included.)

You can find a fair number of similar questions (though for detached garage or shop building, not tiny home, but similar cost) for new service and for extensions to a second building, in the Home > Electrical link under Browse Projects, at lower left.

Generally, you are going to need plans from an architect for zoning and building permits, and for contractors (assuming you are not DIY'ing this) to bid to and build from, and the Architect would normally (and should) include the electrical upgrade in the plans and in the building cost estimate.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy