Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/22/2015

Advise on repairing plaster cracks

I have a 2-3cm separation between the plaster wall and the ceiling. How do I fill it or fix it? Also, I am repairing cracks in my plaster walls and ceiling. Do I need to fill the small cracks with caulking and then use mesh tape and joint compound or can I just use mesh tape over the cracks and then use joint compound?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sounds like someone put in drywall with the gap at the top rather than the bottom. All joints/cracks are supposed to be filled with joint compound for fire protection - will take several coats for that size crack due to sagging and cracking as it dries. FOr a 1 inch gap, you might find it easier to buy powder and mix your own to get a thicker than normal mix for the initial crack filling at the top, though readymix is much easier to use overall.

Read up or google on how to tape - generally to get a decent look you will need to sand or shave the sheet edges to a bevel on edges that do not have factory bevel, then you fill the joint with drywall compound (prefilling to just below level and allowing to dry first if large crack like that top one), embed the tape in that coat, then apply joint compoound over the tape. Then, after dry, progressively sand and use wider taping knives to apply tapering coats to conceal the tape - commonly takes 3 coats to properly cover the tape with a smooth enough taper that you don't see a bulge. Pre-tapering the sheet edges helps a LOT with that for amateurs, because it starts the tape of below flush with the surface.

Actually, for that large a top crack, if pretty even across the top, if you can come by some drywall scrap you might be better off cutting drywall strips to fill the gap, pre-buttering the gap and filler piece before putting in to level out the gap first, then trat as regular joint/crack from there, becazuse a one inch filler of joint compound sags badly and cracks up like crazy so might take sevearal passes to get the gap filled that way.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy