Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/12/2012

Am I entitled to plant/nursery receipts from a landscape contractor?

I recently had a landscapper do work in my yard. He completed the contracted work and cashed that final payment and now won't return my calls. I've been calling for over a month and left at least a dozen messages with no response. I have plants that died and also an outdoor lighting timer transformer failed. I know these have one-year warranties from the store but need receipts to get replacements. I don't know what my legal rights are but I really just want the store receipts now so I can take care of replacing these items myself. Am I entitled to these receipts?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


That's not very professional of the landscape contractor. In my neck of the woods, landscape contractors often willingly replace plants that died because they took a chance and planted them right before a rough summer -- it's usually a rough summer here! However, their motivation to make things right is a matter of courtesy and a desire to protect their reputations, not a legal obligation (unless they guaranteed in writing that the plants would be replaced). The lighting timer is a different matter; it's a gadget, presumably with a warranty. DO read your contract with the company to see if there are any express or implied warranties.

I suggest you report the contractor to your local Better Business Bureau, write an appopriate review at Angie's List and any other "rating" sites you can find (Yelp, for example), and think about contacting the Consumer Affairs/Protection office in your area (state, federal, or both). If none of that gets his attention, consider suing him in small claims court.

Answered 8 years ago by Oleron

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy