Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/26/2015

Am looking for a Structural contractor to fix rotten wood under my french door.

While i was trying to install a french door, i found that the wood below was rotten and was damaged. Now it need to be fixed before i can put the french door. I tried many structural contractors who do similar work from Angies list, some of them told they are not available for an year and some doesn't serve in the area where i live - shrewsbury ma. I am seeking help on this so that i can start the work quickly. Any help to get this fixed from a Structural contractor who has good reviews is requested.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


If the sill was rotten (an independent piece of wood under door, typically less than 2x4 in dimension, which the doorsill or threashold sits on), then a Handyman or Carpenter can fix that. Not tough to do yourself either - typically bearing no load if only as wide as the door itself, though height has to be right to fit the threshold so the door sweep contact is right.

If the bottom plate - the 2x4 or 2x6 or 2x8 (depending on wall thickness) which the wall studs sit on and are fastened to - is rotted out, then you may need a Carpenter - Framing. Maybe a Pest Control/exterminating contractor too if insect eaten.

For images and articles on doorsill repair, google this search phrase - door sill repair images

BTW - here is what the "plate" or "bottom plate" is - the bottom piece of wood (should be treated) sitting right on the concrete -

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy