Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/28/2016

Are there adapters for ribbon cable connectors. My ribbon cable is too big to fit into the current ribon connection

I just replaced my tcon board and the guy who sent me the parts sent me different ribbon cable connectors, so I was wondering if there are adapter out there that can make my 60 pin ribbon cable fit into a 51 pin connector and a 41 pin connector.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You did not say if this is a controller board for a TV or a video output on a computer - but really does not matter other than possibly for where you would get parts.

Don't know about pin-to-pin adapters for those pin counts - but there are cable adapters (pin connector on each end of a short round or ribbon jumper cable as desired) for a LOT of pin connection combinations. These round cable adapters are commonly used where there is not room to run a ribbon cable without warping and twisting it so much it will be damaged, or where it needs to be run in a shielded cable between two boards.

Below is a Digikey link for Tyco connectors showing which go with which - note there are different connector widths and pin spacings, single and double-bank connectors, etc - so you not only have to match number of pins but also the connector "". You said 41 and 51 pin connectors - I have never seen those - 40, 44, 50 yes - maybe you were counting a bonding (grounding) contact in the pin count ? and also sell a lot of adapter and make-up cables, and of course the more comon ones are carried by PC Connection (now called just Connection) and CDW and Amazon and BestBuy and Fry's and such stores as well. For the more exotic ones you might have to go to online electronics warehouses or your local large electronics parts store.

The problem you are going to have is whether your computer needs the 60 pins for necessary data transmission - adapt to 51 and 41 pin connections and you might lose some data paths - or depending on how it is configured, might have several data paths merged into one, making a jumble of the data or shorting out a path that is supposed to be for data. Assuming you bought an off-brand replacement board, it is common for them to not have everything the original OEM board had in the way of data paths - which might work fine, but might also mean some functions you previously had will now not work at all.

Unless you are expert to tracing and decoding data paths and have a digital probe to interpret the data being sent through each pin to see which ones are used and which are not (and of course use may be intermittent depending on what the computer is doing at a particular time), sounds to me like when you bought the new board you needed to be sure it had the same number of pins on the ribbon cable connector and was a direct replacement for your existing one. I would return it if possible and buy one that has matching pin connections.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy