Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/23/2017

Are there carpenters that have a budget plan?

I have a nephew that is blind and has mold on the walls in his bathroom. The floor needs replacing. He lives in a Mobile Home. He is on a limited income but is honest.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are some previous similar questions - both about the mold issue and about contractor financing, FYI:

Unless there were known leaks causing this issue, first thing would be to find the cause - inadequate ventilation in the bathroom likely, possibly aggravated by leaving wet towels or floor mats in place.

I would say mold, drywall or panelling, and flooring (and maybe subflooring) needing repairing - sounds more like a job for a Remodeling - General Contractor than for a Carpenter. Or maybe a Handyman if a very small area is involved.

Because of the blind situation - possible there is some sort of grant or loan program available, especially if he qualifies as being below poverty level - contact your local Health Department (or Elderly/Disabled office in more polulous city/county). Local Unit Way office might also be able to give some contacts amongst local charities and non-profits who help with thing like this - either with repairs or with financing.

If he has signfiicant equity in the mobile home, a Home Equity or Home Improvement loan is also a possibility, though I suspect lenders tend to grant them pretty frugally on mobile homes because they tend to depreciate rather than holdtheir value or appreciate over time. Or a remortgaging for a larger mortgage (resulting in cash back if there is a lot of equity).

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy