Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/21/2020

Are we required to reimburse general contractor of all actual costs paid after cancellation of the contract?

GC accepted my cancellation for a bathroom remodeling contract 9 days after signing for his mistakes-Pulled a wrong permit for the job, added a change order to huge design change not agreed to. The only payment given is the $1000 deposit. I also had an engineer & architect over to measure my house to make the plans. Demolition was never started & plans were never submitted to the city for permit approval. A week later, GC sent us an unsigned settlement agreement and a cost breakdown of what GC paid a week after cancelling, $3500 total. GC is charging us architect/engineer fees & claimed he already paid out of pocket for this. We won't get the physical plans until we pay the settlement.

Contract+payments schedule doesn't specify engineer/architect plans. The schedule of payment goes from:
Deposit $1000
Starting Demolition $6000

Do we have to GC's full cost so far or only to the extent of deposit. I may not keep the plans if its not city-approved or transferable

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I've been a GC in the state of NV for 19 years now. You're required to reimburse any out of pocket expenses that occurred up to the date of the cancellation.

However, if the GC made mistakes, you are not responsible for that cost. Including the wrong permit, order change, and so on. He's supposted to be the expert. That's why you hired him in the first place. So here's the breakdown:

You owe out of pocket expenses to the cancel date minus his mistakes. If you're having to pay for any engineer or architect work, you need to get copies of that work. Ask to see GC's receipts. You only pay for what you get. Nothing more.

That being said, you need to look carefully through the contract you signed to see if there are any cancellation penalties that you agreed to.

If he persists, contact the Contractor's Board and submit a complaint. If needed there is a fund called "Residential recovery fund" for contractors that mess up and leave you in a bind.

And if it should go to court, there's not a judge anywhere that will make a consumer pay a contractor for their mistakes or work not done.

I hope this helps.


Answered 5 months ago by Ghere4you

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy