Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/8/2015

Broken PVC pipe - is there an easy fix?

We were moving stuff around our utility room and broke this PVC pipe. Is there an easy way to get the 'broken' piece out to replace it? I'm not a plumber so not sure what it's exactly called.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Answered 5 years ago by nellie79


Answered 5 years ago by nellie79


Hard to tell exactly your situation- - but first, this appears to be the connections to a sewage lift pump - so your sewer system is out of use as far as anything connected to that line - so probably an emergency plumbing repair is required unless this services only certain rooms AND does not get bypass drainage from other fixtures using the other, gravity-feed line if they are used. Be sure to turn off the pump power in case this is the outflow pipe so you don't get a sewage geyser if the pump turns on.

(Could be this is a water well or cistern connection but unlikely with that pipe diameter, and since in house also would not commonly have 2 pipes leading to it.) Either way, should shut power off to avoid flooding risk.

The broken off reducer can be replaced - easily IF it has a threaded connection to the what appears to be CPVC (yellowish) pipe fitting below it - otherwise, likely to need to replace that piece of pipe through the flanged fitting too - but should not be a major job provided he brings the right size fittings with him, so provide the plumber with these photos and the two pipe sizes - the one going into the bottom of the fitting, and the connecting vertical or horizontal one (which should have the size printed on it). Looks like probably 4 inch to 3 inch reducer - of maybe 5 to 4 - hard to get pipe size persepctive on the photos, though are very good.

If there is a connecting broken fitting it could be reamed out if necessary - but cheaper by far to just cut back the connecting pipe run a bit, put in a coupling and properly sized straight piece, then a new 90 if needed - so all told 3 or 4 fittings and a couple of straight pieces and some glue totalling maybe $30-70, and probably minimum visit charge of $75-150 if done on regular time, 1.5-2 times that on night/weekend. Possibly $50-100 more labor if the pump housing cover has to be removed to replace all the PVC fittings through it.

Plumbing is obviously your Search the List category.

Emergency DIY fix - though would mean finding an adapter no-hub fitting that wouldl fit both the broken adapter and the connecting pipe size - would be to use a metal clamp-on type no-hub fitting like following picture to splice the broken pipe back together (assuming connecting pipe and reducer are not split), but there is a risk (due to short connection length) or it working loose and causing flooding, os if not experienced at this I would bite the bullet and call a plumber.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy