Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/19/2016


A have a contract with a roofing company to redo my roof. I had a friend come out and say that my roof is in good condition, but the skylight is causing leaks. I called the roofing company and asked if they would just do the skylight and they said they wont do that due to warranty issues on the skylight and they recommend doing the whole roof. What should I do?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Roofers are not usually the right people to have do skylight work, especially if not being done as part of a general reroof - you need a specialty Window and skylight company who can replace it. Depending on condition of shingles and how much asphaltic or bitumastic sealant was used around the skylight, may or may not need some new shingles to replace ones broken out in the replacement process - but generally a single bundle of replacement shingles will do several skylight replacements even with shingles in bad shape.

Or try more roofing companies that do skylights - likely to find some well rated and reviewed ones who will do this job - because skylights are a high-profit item, so roofers tend to like skylight replacement jobs (NOT repair jobs). However, being double-layer shingles does make it a lot less desireable to do, and a bit more costly because they have to work down under two layers to replace it.

One other alternative - if the skylight curbing and flashing is in good shape and it is just the acrylic or glass that is the problem - some can have the glazing (glass or acrylic) replaced, and a vew manufacturers (if you can find identification) make slip-over replacement "caps" for their units - the acrylic or glass with its seal is removed, but the framing stays in place, and the replacement cap is put on by placing a compressible seal on the top of the old one, then the new cap (with glass or acrylic) is fitted around the top and pressed down snugly, overlapping the old one like a pill bottle cap - then just secured with a few sheet metal screws. But - you would need exact dimensions from the roof of outer edge and the skirt or curbing, and the exact make and model to see if you can get this type of replacement. Like replacing just the glazing unit, does eliminate messing with the shingles though.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy