Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/18/2014

Can I still try to get my Less than Honorable Discharge up graded since 1981? the man on the phone said NO.

I got a less than Honorable Discharge from the Service and I talked to a Member of the Military were my Mother violinters And he said no,because I waited to long.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Basically, unless you can prove (and the burden of proof is on you) that the discharge classification was incorrect at the time, you are past the statute of limitations for discharge review. Link here to a DOD website for the discarge review board on the issue -

For a discharge classification review you have 15 years from date of discharge - after that generally there are only three ways to change it - a review based on error or unjustness in the discharge rating, a special congressional bill authorizing a change (has almost never been done), and a presidential order (also almost never done). The latter two have generally only been done to change an AWOL or Desertion discharge because the person turned out to be a prisonerofwar or died in combat when thought to be AWOL/Deserted.

The right time to challenge this would have been when you were being discharged, BEFORE it got on the DD-214 discharge papers.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy