Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/29/2015

Can I add a 200 amp sub panel off a 200 service panel.

Our house is 80 ft from the service panel, the service panel in 200 amps, my question is can I put a 200 amp sub panel at the house running off the 200 amp service panel?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


How can it be 80 feet from the service panel - unless your power is illegally being stolen from that panel. Except for certain "camp" type settings - bunkhouse camps, pool houses, outbuildings, etc - the service panel has to be at/on the building served except for temporary during-construction service connections. Maybe you are talking 80 feet from the power company transformer ?

Anyway - almost certainly not going to happen without major upgrades - info on typical costs on the various types of upgrade components can be found in the Home > Electrical link in Browse Projects, at lower left.

Actually, with some exceptions and of course with illegal wiring, sub panels are generally NOT tapped off the main breaker panel and that is highly discouraged because it geznerally means the panel is being overloaded or loaded to max - just not a good idea. They usually tap the incoming feed wire at a junction box right before it goes into the main panel, and effectively "share" the load from the two panels. But if you have a 200A rated breaker panel, the incoming feed wire and main breaker and disconnect switch (if any) and meter box and overall service are probably rated for that too - so you most likely have to upgrade AT LEAST as far as the meter - and most likely back to the transformer to double your service capacity. Transformer and any line wiring leading to only your house or only a couple of houses might also have to be upgraded, ethough many times the power company will do that cheap or for free, figuring they will make the cost back in higher usage charges.

Even if your code area did allow an add-on 200A panel on a 200 or 250A rated service (which is extremely unlikely), unless far more than half of the amperage of circuits in both boxes was inactive at any given time (like an add-on box for multiple power tools in a garage but only one ever used at a time), you would end up continually tripping out your main breaker because of the total amperagea overloads from the two boxes.

Find a good contractor (Search the List category Electrical) to evaluate your loads and circuits, and provide a recommendation. If being done as part of an addition or remodel, an electrical design tech at your Architect's is actually the person who would usually figure the additional circuits, boxes, feeds, service upgrades, etc that are needed to make the whole electrical system work right, and those changes would be included (along with plumbing, structural, etc) on the building plans.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


can i add a 299 amp sub panel to the load side of a meter

Answered 2 years ago by gcoulston

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy