Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/13/2017

Can I sue a yard mowing service for burning up my yard?

Company fertilized my yard and the scalped it down next to nothing
can I sue or make them pay damages

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sure - but first off I would try for something cheaper and more sensible (for this presumably pretty small $ amount of damage, unless you own a mansion) than suing. Plus to sue (or call his bond) you have to prove damages - and a scalped lawn (scalped just once) is likely to grow back just fine as long as it is not a brand new lawn or is not being watered enough - you just have to wait longer before mowing again, and should let it grow to at least 3-4 inches in height for most species of grass, maintained at that height for probably the rest of the summer season, to give it a chance to get its strength back.

A commercial business which depends on the lawn for its revenue or appearance - like a golf course or ball stadium or such might be able to claim damages for over-mowing, but not likely a residence.

Course, if they grossly overfertilized (or worse yet over weed-n-feeded) so it is severly burned and actually partly killed, then you would have proveable damages.

Up to you whether you move to another yard care company or just talk to the owner about it (assuing this is not justa one or two man business which the owner runs and actually does the work too) - might be they hired someone who does not know how long lawns should be (depending on grass species of course) or may have had the mower set real short for a postage stamp apartment lawn job ("golf course appearance" lawn) and forget to reset higher for your lawn.

You would of course need photos and measurements (probably a series of dated photos over time to show progression of grass kill due to overfertilizing, if applicable) and probably some witnesses - and before suing I would talk to the company about a refund of at least that service and maybe a larger cash refund to compensate for the damage.

Also - before suing (even if planning on suing in small claims court), your probably easier recourse before doing that would be (if they will not agree IN WRITING to doing remedial work for free) to call their Bond to have the damage repaired - which might involve payment for a professional grass care company (the ones who do ballfields and golf courses and such) to provide maintenance for 6-12 months unless they just dumped the fertilizer (or worse, weed-n-fee) on so it totally killed the grass and poisoned the soil - in which case stripping the sod and replacing it with new topsoil and hydroseeding or resodding may be needed. If it was just excessive fertilizer, commonly heavy (1-2 inches per watering) watering daily or every other day for a week, to wash most of the fertilizer down below the root zone.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy