Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/30/2015

Can a contractor repair dry rot in bottom 6-12" of 3 2x8 beams separating 3 french doors? Estimated cost?

House built 1994. Three appx 3'wx7'h full floor to ceiling wood framed windows, two are fixed windows, third is a door. Of the five vertical frames (2x8s?) framing and separating these panels, 3-4 have rotted out at the bottoms up to almost 12". Additionally, paint is rippled/bubbled on the bottom flat wood panels of 2-3 of the window frames. Looks like these can probably be scraped and repainted, but what about those vertical members? South facing, catches all the snow drifts and blazing sierra sun.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would say you need to do something to prevent drifting (and presumably rainfall) against those windows - like a porch roof ?

It is possible the 2x8's are just door/window framing, in which case each unit could be taken out individually and repaired and repainted, but I suspect you are talking about support members for the overhead beam - king studs, probably. One would have to tear into the adjacent wall a bit (or probe with nails) to be sure - because it is possible these are just oversized framing members made heavy to match the architecture of the house, especially if cabin or chalet

If it is the case that they are the support columns/studs, from what you describe I can't visualize being feasibly able to repair the columns - I would say the entire area of roof/wall needs to be propped up, then the windows/door taken out, then the columns and any sill are rot replaced, the window/door frames cleaned up and repaired/repainted as necessary, then reinstalled. It is possible this could be done piecemeal, but would not be economic, in my opinion, because you problably have sill area/subfloor damage as well that needs repair.

Because you are taking out structural support members (for the load-carrhying beams over the door/windows) which carries the load from above there, you need a Remodeling - General Contractor, and to get building permit quite possibly a plan for the repair from a Structural Engineer, depending on your locale.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy