Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/24/2017

Charity help needed for elderly and disabled couple for home windows in area code 76431, Wise County Tx

My husband and I are elderly and disabled and looking for a Charity to help us get windows for our home, ours leak and the wind blows through them. We are very low income and the waiting list for the state help is years. Please let us know if there is any help out in Wise County Texas 76431 for help. Thank you for any input you have.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Hello Primmerdog,

Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear of your situation. Angie's list does not have any information regarding charities that can assist you with your project. If you are looking for a window company, you may always set up a free membership to search the list.


Iann M

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


That sort of program is not real common - places you could check with:

1) call United Way and see if they know if any of their charities in your area which have such a program

2) call a couple of Window companies and see if they know of any such programs

3) try Habitat For Humanity - I know they commonly have exterior cleanup/painting weekends, and of course do new homes or in some areas total rebuilds for eligible first-time low income homeowners, but window replacement - have not heard of them doing that, but even if not they would quite likely know by word of mouth if there is such a program in your area

4) check if your church (if you are a regular) has any sort of assistance program, or maybe someone who can as least do some weatherstripping/caulking for you. The adhesive-backed weatherstripping is not as good as the slotted-in OEM type, but actually works quite well and can really cut down on the major leakage areas quickly and cheaply.

5) if there is a building trades tech school or apprenticeship program in your area (commonly run by community colleges or Carpenter's Union for that type work) they might know of a program where apprentices do this for training (so you would pay for materials only), or for the weatherstripping option might be a source for cheaper labor to do it, though risk there because of lack of insurance and bonding.

6) check with state GreenStar program (though that may be the state help you were talking about)

7) check with your energy companies (gas and electric) - sometimes they have weatherization programs they sponsor

Normal residential home total window replacement commonly runs $500-1000 per window in most areas, so $5-10,000 for a small home or $10-30,000 range for a normal size home, so this is a pretty significant job you are talking about.

One alternative - if the windows basically work OK and line up decently when they close, would be to get a Handyman to replace the weatherstripping (usually removeable and replaceable with new from manufacturer or Home Depot or such) and caulk as needed around the outer frame and fixed units.

Another simple fix, assuming the wind is blowing through the window, not around the frame and coming out under the inside trim (though even that is a simple pull trim, inject non-expanding foam in the gas between frame and rough opening, put trim back on job), on windows you do not need to be able to open, have a Handyman put up FrostKing or similar inside window shrink plastic sheeting (NOT safe if small child in house and within reach). It is basically shrink-wrap plastic which is taped around the inside trim (or if not caring about pulling paint off can be taped to the wall outside the trim) then heat-shrunk with a blow dryer to make it tight. Visible and noticeable (see FrostKing website for pictures of what it looks like) but not highly objectionable to most people, and seals the window against pretty much any air leakage through it. And readily torn through for emergency escape, if needed. Costs about $10-20 for normal size window kits (per window) for the materials, takes about 10-15 minutes each if doing a number of them at one time, so a quarter to half day labor by a Handyman and maybe a couple hundred to $500 materials can do a normal size house, and commonly lasts maybe 5 years or so if left in place year around before it needs to be retaped because the old tape starts peeling free (maybe a bit less in your hot area if house is not air conditioned in summer).

However, while the plastic film can be used on the inside of non-operating and also on most type windows to stop leaks through the window unit itself, of course if the window needs to be openable for ventilation (say you do not have A/C or try to minimize its use), then it cannot cover the frame so gaps between the operating window units and the frame would have to be handled with weatherstripping.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy