Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/12/2016

Contractor MIA what to do?

I signed and returned a Contractor's proposal to install a gas line off my hot water heater to serve a range at my house and now I can't get hold of the Contractor. He won't return my calls or emails and I have no idea what's going on. Can i just forget about him and hire someone else?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Not really - you have a contract. I am not an lawyer, but generally if there was a completion date on the contract (should have been) and you are not at that yet, the contract is valid and you probably have no legal basis to void the contract. If there was no performance date, possibly not a legal contract at all anyway because period orf performance or completion date is a fundamental lelement of a services contract. If past the date, you have cause to terminate.

Document (in writing or even better printouts and saved communications) your attempts to reach him by as many means you know of - phone, cell phone, text, eMail, eMail link on his website, etc - either leaving message to call you by X date or you are cancelling the contract - or stating that you are cancelling because you have not heard from him and cannot contact him, as you prefer. That establishes your good-faith attempts trying to contact him.

Then (after expiration of any call-back deadline you may have communicated to him), send a letter certified mail, return receipt with recipient signature required, stating that because of his failure to respond to your attempts to make contact with him you are cancelling the contract.

THEN you should be safe going with another contractor, and if the first one contacts you tell him you legally cancelled your acceptance of his proposal because of his non-responsiveness.

Sounds like there was no advance payment - if there was, then to get your money back (possibly, if not a scam) your route would be to contact his bonding company (he is bonded, right ?) to have them get another contractor in to perform the work at the contracted price.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy