Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/18/2017

Could you advise me on the process of moving my furniture from Colo. to Texas with the black widow spiders in stora

could you please advise me on moving my furniture from storage units from colo. .to texas with black widow spiders in the units? Should I tell the storage company and how do I get some movers to help me move out of the units? Also whereT do I get a conex box? Do I do the convex box before I rent a truck or wait until everything is in Texas? Thanks so much.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Don't know if you saw the previous response on killing the spiders themselves -

If your items are going to be in temporary storage en-route, I would not take steps to kill the spiders untill you get there, because you might well pick up more in storage.

From your area, since you are talking possible spiders, not a known infestation, I would not worry about telling the movers - from that area they are aware of the possibility of brown recluse and black widows.

You can rent (or if for long-term storage buy) a Conex yourself, but normally if - wait a minute - you are talking about renting a truck too ? So you have a big-rig commercial driver's license ? Or do you mean conex at the destination end as a temporary fumigation chamber - in which local trucking companies can rent and deliver a conex to you - google local trucking companies or Conex. Commonly a new 40' conex is $4000-6000 purchased, used ones about half that, rental about $100-250/month plus $100 or so delivery/pickup fees, depending on whether rated as having the ISO standard wind and weathertight seals, or "watertight" seals which are called International containers, for shipping on deck on open sea barges and ships and will actually stay watertight for commonly days if dropped in the ocean. The standrad one should be fine for your purposes provided the seals are in decent condition, though for long-term outdoor storage many people choose the watertight ones for insect and rodent prevention.

If moving into a new home, I would talk to a pest control company at your destination town - probably the best would be to move the furniture in, them fumigate the entire house to kill bugs in the house you are moving into (assuming not a multi-unit building) - that would take care of insects, including termites, in the new home too.

Otherwise, temporary fumigation in a tented conex or such can be done - but everything has to be unwrapped - all paper wrapping and moving quilts and such removed to provide free access for the fumigant gas.

Talking to the pest control company, they can also be there as you unload to check each item for bugs as it is brought in - commonly done on the dirve (with rental canopy/tent over the top if needced for weather) as a staged move-in - the movers bring item to the tent, pest control guys remvoe/kill spiders including spot spraying of enclosed areas as needed, then they set aside at other end of tent and take on into the house. The couple of times I have seen this done (for brown recluses) it ran about $500 for the pest control guy and additional $500 or so for the movers, because it slows them up. That for an entire standard sized household.

Hope this answered the question, because was a bit unclear what the exact question was.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


One other thing on the Conex - if looking at using it for an extended peariod (say over a week or so) they start charging wheel set as well as conex fees, which can crank rental up to about $30-50/day - so if it needs to be set on the ground typically about $100-150 delivery and drop/pickup fee to set on the ground (which needs to be a flat and moderately level surface), with space forthe container (which can be 10 to 50 feet long depending on your needs, by usually (except for Max 10' wide containers) 8 feet wide. They also need typically 60 feet minimum out front and ask for 100 feet for the tractor and trailer - some get winched up onto a 3 axle truck like a dropoff dumpster, longer ones (generally over 20') they bring a low trailer which it is winched up onto, so besure your drop point has room.

If planning on leaving the trailer there for more than aq day or two (actual move-in time) and especially if planning on dropping on the ground, check subdivision covenants and city regs too - some prohibit this entirely, others limit it to not more than a week to a month - many areas require a permit to put a conex in the yard and require it be sided like a shed or house if staying for more than necessary move-in or new home construction time.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy