Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/8/2015

Do I call an hvac company or contractor to move a heat vent location in my home?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Assuming you mean forced air heating.

Depends - if you have exposed ducts in a basement or crawlspace under where you are moving the duct, then the HVAC contractor should be able to do it fine. If it involves cutting into drywall or flooring or running up in the walls to another room or such (other than to cut the new opening) then you will need either drywall/flooring/painter contractor afterwards to close up the holes, or a Remodeling - General Contractor to coordinate everything.

If NOT using a GC, keep close copntrol over the HVAC contractor so he does the minimum amount of damage reasonable - they (like plumbers and some electricians) tend to run amok when you give them a sawzall if they are not responsible for repairing the damage. Also, depending on how much airflow you need and such, it may be that running flexible duct (even 2 runs in parallel if needed) will allow minimal damage to walls and cewilings and such - it is VERY commonly economical to route utilities in less than the quickest manner, because an extra hour or two for the HVAC guy or plumber or such is commonlyh MUCH cheaper than a bunch or repairing of access holes in walls and floors. At times, removing siding to access from the outside is the best bet.

On the old vent location - since it will be very tough to match the flooring (assuming in floor), a common thing to do is put a matching or aesthetically acceptable vent grill there, but caulk in a piece of black rubber or heavy plastic sheeting under it to close off the hole, but leave the grill because it looks appropriate there and avoids the issue of patching the hole. Of course, if relocating due to something else going there like a window seat or such, then just caulk and blank it off with plywood or such, if it won't show - but if the thing going over it is not built-in, I would patch now so it is acceptable come house sale time - you do not need the hssle of that type of repair right after you have moved your possessions out and then notice the hole.

If you really want to match the flooring, your best bet is to sacrifice matching flooring in a closet - tear it all up and use what is needed, keep the rest for similar future repairs, and put a different type of flooring in the closet.

You did not say WHY you want to be moving it - if for more even heating or eliminating a draft, it may be a change in vent grill type or adding a directional deflector on it may solve your problem for far less $.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy