Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/5/2016

Do I need a locksmith or a door frame repair contractor?

I would like to replace my front door lock with a longer deadbolt for security reasons. The problem I have now is that the front door frame is not properly aligned with the deadbolt lock, door jam, and strike plate as the door tends to shift and swell depending on weather conditions. Should I call a locksmith or a door frame repair company? Is a locksmith capable of installing a new lock and repairing the door frame?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Generally speaking, unless your deadbolt is vaery short - just reaching into the striker plate, instead of a longer deadbolt (which means a longer throw arm in the lock, so genearally a larger hole in the door) the deadbolt itself is not the weak link as long as it fully engages the striker plate. The normal solution is a high-security striker plate - larger, with 6 or 8 screw holes rather than four, and with longer screws that penetrate into the studs rather than just the door frame, to prevent splitting out. Looks like this -

Sometimes reinforced at the door edge with a reinforcer plate like this -

If the door is just a bit out of alignment a locksmith can adjust the hinges to compensate. The striker plate/bolt mismatch can be resolved when changing out the striker plate for a larger one (not a tough DIY job, BTW) - you just adjust the striker plate hole as needed.

If not up to DIY, a Handyman can do this well usually - otherwise, Locksmith would be your Search the List category.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy