Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/29/2016

Do i need a structural engineer to evaluate my load bearing beams in bassement to determine if structure is sound

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


That is the most qualified person, and the person needed to develop plans for any remediation that might be needed - which plans would be needed to get a building permit, and can serve as the majority of the scope of work statement for bidding and also for attachment to the contract with the selected contractor - who would likely be a General Contractor unless just a simple set of prop posts, in which case a Carpenter - Framing might be suitable.

A General Contractor or Building INspector with framing/GC experience might be able to eyeball it tell you if it looks like normal construction or not, but the answer would not be definitive, especially if the layout or design is not "normal" so if they don't say for sure it is OK (and they are not usually qualified to do the actual analysis needed to deetermine that), you would likely need a Structural Engineer anyway - so might as well start there.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy