Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/8/2017

Dr's who over perscibe narcotics in Wisconsin

I'm in need of a Dr. who still wants to help people with pain in Wisconsin area? I was in a Serious Car Accident in May of 2015. And every where I go, I get the run around because of my past, I have been clean since January 5th 2012(5years).
And still being treated like I'm going to relapse at any moment. Here take Suboxone, and if I do, I'm labeled as a user!!!
What a crock, there has to be a few Dr's who still care about there patients.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


May have been a typo on your part, but asking where to find a doctor who "over prescribes" narcotics makes it sound like you want more than is needed for the pain - sort of the definition of an addict. And as for the "relapse any minute" - that is a possibility the care providers have to watch out for constantly, because once an addict (drugs, alcohol, tobacco, whatever) a relapse into the addiction is far more likely than for a person without that kind of history - both because of the body's affinity for the addicting substance, because the force-of-habit thing makes becoming an addict again much more likely, and because the previous addiction is an indication that your force of will or personal standards let you become an addict once so it is more likely in the future too. The sort of thinking that makes AA (for instance) say (with good cause) that once an alcoholic always an alcoholic - that is is not possible to completely "overcome" an addition, just to stay clean indefinitely by abstaining - which of course for a drug addiction is sort of hard to do if you are taking narcotic pain killers.

Pretty much any doctor will prescribe appropriate meds for pain for a condition they are treating - but if you have a history of drug abuse (illegal drug use or abuse of prescription drugs) then you may have to go under a specific dosing protocol - going to doctor's office for injections daily say, or getting them in controlled conditions through a Pain Management (the Angies List Search the List category) provider.

It is a lot less an issue of doctors not caring about their patients than the current rash of prescription drug addictions and people going to multiple doctors for the same pain killer to service their addiction, and of course the very strong need for doctors to avoid over-prescribing or prescribing narcotics to patients and thereby attracting the unwanted attention of the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration). Preventing the multiple simultaneous prescriptions is the reason for enforcement programs where a central database of narcotic/addictive drug using patient is used to flag multiple prescriptions at multiple pharmacies, and for some people and some drugs limiting prescriptions to on a week's dose at one time.

In many areas, there are programs with doctor's offices,, neighborhood drug rehab clinics and pharmacies and health departments where they obtain and securely hold your say 30 day prescription and then do daily dispensing of just one day's dose at a time when you come in, which you have to take there and then in front of them so they know they are not being stockpiled or sold.

And of course, if considered a drug addict, about the only way you will get narcotics prescribed for the pain will be at a drug rehab facility, with blood testing for concentration and for presence of other drugs, where the emphasis will be on breaking the addition and using non-narcotic pain killers. You could discuss such programs with your family physician or the one treating your car accident injuries, you can also contact the local government drug rehab program (usually in city or county health department) about programs in your area which might help in your case.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy