Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/18/2015

During a recent rain storm water started pouring out of the vent in my ceiling. How can I resolve this?

I have multiple vents in my ceiling and only one poured water; the once conveniently located directly above my TV. This happened on the first floor of my condo; I have an upstairs level and there was no sign of water coming from any vents.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I assume this is an A/C vent it came out of.

Could be from a roof leak dripping down on a vapor barrier, then running down along an HVAC duct and coming out in your room - the place to look for wetness would be where the duct exits the attic. This presumes of course you have an attic mounted A/C or attic duct runs. If this is the case, water would almost certainly have been running along the outside of the duct to where it dripped out the grillage, not inside the duct.

Can also occasioanlly happen when your A/C evaporator is freezing up (then melts off after the A/C shuts down), which most commonly happens in very humid or rainy weather because there is more moisture in the air to freeze on the evaporator. Should run into the evaporator pan under the evaporator then into its drain, but if pan outlet or drain tube is clogged then will overflow and run to wherever the water wants to flow.

Hard to tell which to call, especially if you can't check the evaporator coil pan to see if it drains freely and check the attic for wetness - either in the floor area (or flooring insulation in the attic) and also for wet spots on the underside of the roof sheathing and/or rafters. I would say if a small drip occurred, I might start with an Heating and A/C contractor IF you have attic-mounted A/C or ducts. If it was a "flow" rather than a "drip", pretty much had to be from a roof leak,, so I would call a Roofer.

One other possibility - if this vent is near the outside wall below an upstairs window, it could have been water entering a leak above the window in driving rain, running down in the wall, then across the downstairs ceiling drywall to the first openign it came to - the vent. In this case, yuou would likely have wetness below the upstairs window or on the floor right below it, and also the water wouldhave come out around the vent duct, not from inside it.

Here are a couple of more prior similar questions with answers which might help too -

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy