Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/1/2015

For a condo in a humid area, which is least likely to grow mold: window AC unit, mini split ductless or central air

I live in a 1BR condo and 4 years ago had a mini split ductless AC unit installed. It is too big (18K), it short cycles and grows mold. Last year, I installed a UV light system, but it still gets moldy. Now, I have a moldy unit (allergic!!!) and am not sure what to do to prevent mold in future: (1) Pay $5,000 (again) to have the correct sized mini split ductless installed, (2) go back to window units, (3) pay $10,000-plus for central air installation, or (4) only use a dehumidifier and fans. Mold is causing huge health problems for me. I cannot have mold! Please advise.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Which ever one is sized properly to keep the indoor humidity low. Mold generally needs over 55% humidity, food ,and typically indoor temps to grow.

Sizing properly is, by Manual J, from


Answered 5 years ago by BayAreaAC


Here is a similar question - perhaps another version of yours, not certain - but anyway, here is is FYI - more responses on A/C issues in various questions with responses in the Home > HVAC link in Browse Projects, at lower left.

It may turn out that one of the other fixes plus a dehumidifier running will be your solution.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy