Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/27/2015

Front siding leaking at the seams........needs repaired or replaced

I need someone to advise on the repair or replacement of the front siding on my house, which was built in 1979. During the 23 days (so far) of December rain I noticed a leak where the boards meet (seams). I don't know if they've started to rot out and should be replaced, or can be filled with caulking to eliminate the problem. Looking for estimates on both

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


If you know where the leak is, take a look yourself - if due to rot, if a signficant leak, uyou should see hole through, and pushing on the wood with a screwdriver would show very soft, punky wood.

For just one place, a Handyman might be able to do the repair - caulking for minimum trip charge fo about $200-400 probably plus a few bucks of caulk plus any insulation needing replacement; replacing a couple of boards likely around $400-600 by the time he get the matching material, cuts to length, pre-finishes it in matching paint, and installs, depending on amount of wet insulation needing replacement in the process. THis assumes a single spot problem.

For more damaged material, or more professional job (especially if it turns out there is damage inside the wall, a Siding contractor is probably your best bet. Minimum charge probably about $150-250 and on up depending on amount of damage.

Be sure that any wetted insulation and wall area is dried out or replaced - don't just seal it in, because you may well get significant mold in the walls - and if an on-going issue that just broke through, might have structural decay as well - which would call for a Remodeling - General Contractor to repair the framing and any drywall/plaster needing replacement as a result of that. If there is rot in the walls, cost likely to go into the $1000+ range pretty quick.

And the bad news - if this is a long-term issue with rot, almost no homeowners insurance policies cover that sort of damage.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


There is no insulation or drywall in this area. It's on the outside above the garage I need someone with knowledge of the materials used to determine whether to replace or repair.

Answered 4 years ago by Guest_9708772


Well - if you go with a Siding guy, chances are you will get a recommendation to reside your wholehouse. A Handyman is likely to be less ambitious with his upselling, if at all, so I would get one to look at it for a hundred bucks or so - if he says it is rotted out and more than he can handle, then you are not out much and can go with a siding contractor. Other way around, you might get a recommendation for a $10-20,000 residing job which you may or may not need..

Another alternative - though will not actually do the work like the other two would - is $100-150 to have a Home Inspector look at it and give an unbiased opinion.

Ohhh - you said no drywall - so can you see from the inside (attic maybe ?). If so, poke the wood around the leak area to see if it is soft or punky - if so, rotting, if not caulk will probably handle it (should be done from the outside, obviously) so a Handyman should be able to do it fine. Could be a sliver came off at the seam due to weathering, woodpecker hole, etc - especially if paneled or tongue and groove siding rather than lap plank siding.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy