Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/31/2013

General contractor damage to home?

Here's the scenario - a contractor who is licensed and insured damages your property while doing other work in your home (dents your almost new refrigerator, for example). When called on it, he offers to replace the unit. He then tells you that he will be taking the old fridge in return for the new one. Is that usually how the process works? I've been able to find nothing after surfing the web....

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If he gives you a new equivalent one (that you accept as equivalent) then the old one is his - he has "replaced" it - what he does with it is his business - he will probably sell it to a used appliance store, or offer it some homeowner as a slightly used one cheaper than a new one. He would also justified in asking for the original receipt (with your credit card number blacked out) and instruction manual, warranty, etc. - everything that came with it originally.

Of course, he should also give you the same type of proof of purchase and manuals for the new one, so you can activate the warranty.

If you had bought a supplemental warranty on the old one, you could get a partial refund on it or transfer it (if same brand) to the new one, if you can, unless he want to take that too and pay for the same length supplemental warranty onthe new one.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy