Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/19/2013

Give us names of best structural engineer for foundation problem,

Live in Houston - Meyerland sudivision

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Most foundation problems best call for a geotechnical (soils and foundations and groundwater) engineer, which is a specialized category of civil engineer, just like a structural is - who deals in constructed structures design and inspection. Your best bet is to find a local civil engineering firm that does residential design and inspections and has both a structural and a geotechnical engineer on staff, so they can address both the loading and foundation capacityand any infiltration issues, and resultant structural issues with the building, all in one shop.

You will probably have to find civil or foundation/geotechnical engineers in your area first by searching the list or googling or yellow pages, then check their ratings and reviews, then call a few of the best rated to see if they handle your type of problem and have both structural and foundation capability (might be one dual-specialty person or two to handle both disciplines).

Answered 7 years ago by LCD


I have the same question. I can locate a structural engineer. Have done so in the past, will probably do so again if I can't find a geotechnical engineer.

The problem is that when I check the Internet, I find the only geotechnical engineers in the area are involved with new construction, especially business projects. I assume their clients are builders and the like.

I have only an existing home and it has only some things that I want checked out. Do geotechnical engineers really inspect ordinary residential houses, already built, for foundation problems? How would their report differ from the report of a structural engineer? The structural engineer I used before measured elevations outside and gave me a detailed report of his findings.

Answered 7 years ago by Guest_988593721


True - most geotechnical engineers, being specialists, work for larger engineering firms, generally spending most of their time on larger jobs. You will find some working for civil engineering firms, particularly those doing new developments.

To find one, you need to call civil engineering firms dealing with residential jobs, then ask if they have a geotechical engineer on staff or available as a consultant - sort of like you go to your MD for general medical purposes but he would rtefer you to a cardiologist or podiatrist or whatever if needed.

A geotechical engineer specializes in ground conditions, excavation and fill, groundwater issues, foundations design and problems, and commonly construction materials testing.

A structural engineer is trained in structures, so for instance a cracking foundation could be due to a concrete or reinforcement problem, which would be in a structural engineer's area of expertise, or could be due to poor subgrade compaction or loss of support or water pressure, which would be a geotechnical engineer's area of expertise. Both can generally handle the design of a fix for a normal foundation structural problem.

Therefore, if is appears to be a purely construction materials defect or house loading issue a structural is your man; if groundwater, earth pressures, or soil settlement or expansion are the likely cause, the geotechical engineer is the best choice.

You can find geotechical engineers that do residential work in the Houston area by googling these search phrases - the first one seems to bring up more pertinent listings -

geotechnical engineer residential Houston

foundation engineer residential Houston

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy