Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 mygfcxx1 95
6 ahowell 95
7 KnowledgeBase 95
8 skbloom 80
9 Guest_98024861 70
10 Guest_9311297 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/13/2016

HELP---Multiples cracks along the edges of my upstairs high ceiling

There are a few cracks on my ceiling upstairs. A few along the edges of the wall (between the side wall amd the popcorn ceiling) and a hairline Crack in the middle of the wall just above the hallway up stairs. Please advise. Any help would be appreciated!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are links to a few prior similar questions with answers -

Most commonly, on interior walls, this occurs on midwalls (roughly along centerline of house, commonly hall or bathroom walls) which run perpendicular to the attic floor joists or trusses. Drying out and cold shorten the wood in the attic framing, causing the center of the framing to lift up - and the ceiling drywall is attached to the bottom of that framing, so it lifts up off the walls near the centerline of the house, most evidently at perpendicular walls near the centerline of the house. One or more of the responses talks about using high-extension caulk instead of drywall compound to close up the crack.

In new construction/remodels the ceiling drywall (which should sit on TOP of the wall drywall at the edges) can be left unfastened to the ceiling joists/trusses for a couple of feet from the wall where the crack shows, and be caulked to the wall drywall, so it stays with the wall rather than rising with the trusses/joists at that point.

If the stair hairline crack is quite straight (within 1/8" or so) could be a cracking drywall joint for same reason.

Repair could be done by Handyman if you find one who can do good drywall repaiurs and repainting. If shooting in the dark on his capabilities better to go with a Drywall contractor for the patches, then a Painter if you are not a DIY'er.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy