Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/24/2014

Have a tenant arrested for property damage under a lease

I gave a moving notice to vacate and the tenant busted holes in walls, tore off doors, and over all damages over $2000.00

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Unfortunately, unless you call the police while he/she is doing it and they catch him in the act, from a criminal standpoint you would have a heck of a time proving HE did it. Problem is, if not caught in the act (unless there were witnesses), he can claim someone broke in and trashed the place.

Might not be a bad idea, from documentation and insurnace claim standpoint, to have the police do a report on it, though unlikely to go beyondthe report stage with them.

You can deduct the damage from his damage deposit, and could file a claim with your insurance company (or his if he had renters insurance), and could sue in court (Superior for larger amounts, Small Claims for smaller amounts depending on state) - but recovering any money from him is probably unlikely.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy