Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/3/2015

Having trouble finding someone to repair old windows with wood rot and gaps from home settling, not new windows.

1940's stone home. Windows need repair, reglaze, calk, paint, some wood rot, gaps causing water issues. A few panes need to be replaced. 20 windows. Storm windows on 18. 2 story home.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


New windows may well be close to as cheap if there is substantial damage, not just spots of rot, or if the rot extends into the frames, not just the brickmold/exterior trim, because if it goes into the frames the window unit has to come all the way out to be fixed, so by the time you are that far probably cheaper to put a new unit in than spend the significant labor to repair the existing frame. Granted, new windows are a bunch of bucks, but you should end up with proper window waterflashing to solve the water problems, and at least some energy savings from the more efficient window units. If these are original 1940's windows, I would seriously consider replacement - or if budget can't at this time handle that big a hit (probably $6-20,000 range - most likely well into the $10K's range), maybe get most weather-hit side replaced, then some touchup work done (trim and caulking) on the rest for now - though you risk not being able to economically match the appearance in the future if you don't replace them all at once.

Some old-time Window or Millwork companies will do this type repair work - otherwise replacing rotten wood and sprucing the windows up is a Handyman or Carpenter - Woodworking (Finish Carpenter) type job, but neither is likely to be at all expert in squaring a window up, which basically means removing/cutting all fasteners so the window is loose in the opening, then reshimming and renailing it. Will also usually not be expert in replacing glass, especially if modern glazing unit windows rather than old putty-mounted single-pane - not many carpenters or handymen (or even glass replacement people) have done that old-school type of installation.

For a rework job like this you are likely to have trouble finding a contractor - ask each one who turns you down if they can refer you to someone who does this. Probably your most likely positive reply (and most expensive but highest quality solution) will be a company that does historic house restorations.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


Here is a prior similar question with longer answer, also some repetition, which might help too -

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy