Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/25/2013

Heat Pump v. Oil Heat - Cost Savings

I live in the Boston area and I am considering installing central air with a traditional unit for the 2nd flr and mini split ductless on the 1st floor. I am wondering whether I should upgrade to a Heat Pump unit for the 2nd floor to offset the high cost of oil heat in the "shoulder months". The spit ductless is also a heat pump model. I would rely on the oil heat for the cold months but I am wondering whether the Tranditional Heat Pump would provide any savings over oil during those "shoulder months" or whether it is worth the extra money? Anyone with experience on this?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I am having trouble getting my mind around exactly where you expect to get your savings with having several different systems for the same house. I would say you need a formal heating and cooling heat balance analysis (or home energy assessment), which looks at your energy efficiency, heating and cooling needs, and computes likely annual costs with each common type of system. Then you willl be in a position to compare those costs versus opossible savings from the different systems available.

Most utility companies and state energy conservation offices have lists of INDEPENDENT energy audit consultants who do this, so that you are not in a position of having the assessment done by someone who is then going to be trying to sell you a system also, and might be biased for that reason.

If you look yourself, that type of consutlant would be called an energy auditor or energy conservation consultant - likely cost about $300-500. This person should also be knowledgable in energy conservation rebate programs, which can pay for from 10% to, in some states, up to 100% of energy-saving improvements.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy