Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/22/2014

Help!! I am working with a contractor who I bought via an Angie's deal. He is a disaster, what can I do?

Hi there

I bought an Angies list deal with LA painters, he is a disaster. He is hard to communicate with, fails to show up, does poor work and has damaged new rug and new vinyl in my home. What are my options?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Hello, this is Kyle K from the Member Care Department.

I’m very sorry to hear about your difficulties with Los Angeles Painting. We’d really like to get this information to our other members and appreciate you letting us know. Feedback can be submitted anytime through our website, Just use the "Write a Review" tab near the top of the page after logging in.

You can also call us toll-free at (888) 944-5478 during business hours and speak to a Member Care Specialist. After hours, there is an automated system for submitting a review available at the same number.

Angie's List also offers our members a program to help resolve complaints when they've had a negative service experience.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance or information. You can respond by submitting a new answers as a response in this Q&A, email us at or toll-free at 1-866-783-2980 to speak with a live representative. Our call center hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am-8:15 pm Eastern Time or Saturday from 8:30 am-3:00 pm ET.

Thanks for writing! - Kyle K

Answered 6 years ago by Member Services


Put him on notice by certified return receipt mail regarding his shoddy workmanship and damages, and that you are terminating his contract and putting in a claim to his bonding company (for shoddy workmanship) and his insurance comapny (for rug and vinyl damages, assuming those were not part of his scope of work).

Are you confident enough that it is shoddy work to do that ? Be sure to keep deliberate records and photos, and you cannot have any of it repaired until the issue is resolved because that would be destroying your evidence.

Otherwise, if you did not require that he be bonded and insured, you only likely recourse is to sue him - either in civil court (with an attorney), or take your chances without an attorney using just you and your photos and any witnesses, in small claims court.

Angie's List also has a dispute resolution service you could use, particularly since this was an AL Deal - contact member services on that.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy