Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/21/2016

Hi. I am looking for someone to secure a roof hatch. Who does this type of work?

Roofer put in roof hatch on flat roof, but it needs lock/security. Had no luck searching roofers for this type of work. Who does this? Locksmith? Carpenter? Please help. Thanks.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


I would first call the building permit department and ask to talk to the life safety inspector - ask if this hatch would be considered an emergency egress. If so, then has to have fire escape provisions, including an inside release and NO exterior lock - this is the normal case with roof hatches. Also has to have an anti-latch mechanism that prevents it from latching when it drops closed, so someone can't get locked outside - requires that the interior latch have a positive latchback mechanism that has to be manually operated to lock it. Can be a release catch you have to move back to latch it, or a slidebolt type, which should be mounted slightly on a slope so it tends to move open, not closed, if it is left in the slide positions rather than latched open and get vibrated and moves.

I would start first with the manufacturer - probably has a latch kit for with instructions on where to put it so you don't penetrate the water barrier features and cause a leak.

Otherwise, I would go with a Locksmith as more likely to get it right and for knowing how to mount such things so they don't jam and such, as might happen if you used a Handyman. Be sure to tell him how long a ladder he needs if applicable - many locksmiths do not carry a ladder with them on regular trips, as they rarely need them - most of their work is at waist height.

My guess - just a normal shot bolt or hasp and lock should do it - if openable from the inside it would normally only need a lock if in a multi-unit building accessible to anyone. In a private residence just a shotbolt would work unless there is a risk of kids getting up there.

My recommendation - since likely a location prone to moisture, I would use an all-brass combination Sesame lock, not a steel or key lock. Less likely to corrode up, especially if you hit it with a touch of WD-40 before use.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy