Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/24/2017

Hired handyman who did lousy job. Terminated contract, but he had already received monies for half the job.

Hired a handyman who was recommended by a trustworthy contractor. The handyman gave quote for removing and replacing damaged flooring. Later he asked for half the quote to pay helpers. No helpers showed up so he slowly started working and doing a shabby job. He started on another room and we asked him to just stop and terminated the contract. We wrote a letter of our dissatisfaction and requested a refund of monies paid with the exception of $1000 (for completion of two rooms). We signed and he signed. Have not heard from him yet. It has been 3 years. Can we do anything with there being so much time lapsed? I only have the handyman's automobile tag number at the time and a telephone number that probably has been changed. The contract had no address on it.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


After 3 years - likely past statute of limitations, and certainly past any warranty period. Plus since you terminated him, with termination letter signed by you and him, only any terms in the letter regarding refund to be made by him or such would be binding - the termination would likely (by terminating the contract) have eliminated any bonding coverage or so, but maybe not if he had specific performance remaining under the letter - including a specific refund amount.

Since you are unlikely to locate him (check state contractor licensing board list of licensees, also check state or county or local (whichever does business licensing in your area) to see if he still have a business license, with maybe address. Though you could pay the $25-50 and use a web locator to find him maybe.

Or of course google his name and company name, maybe combined with "Handyman" to see it pops up that he is still in business as a handyman.

Otherwise, if he was bonded and you have a copy of the bond document, you could file a claim with his bonding company but unlikely to recover. You would have to be able to provide them with proof he owes uyou - like signed termination letter showing amount due.

You might also file a small claim court claim against him - assuming you are not past the statute of limitations for recovery of a debt in your state - but without specifics on his address or contact info even if the court accepts the case (you would have to "serve" him with the court claim by public notice in a public notice paper in your area, which typically costs a couple to few hundred $), without info on how to contact him even if you won how would you recover ?

Obviously you should have pursued this in the first month after the termination - likely money down the drain at this point.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



Thanks for reaching out to us at Angie's List.

If you could please provide the name of the handyman you used we may be able to help get you contact infomration for the Handyman. Outside of the that though, since the purchase wasn't through Angie's List we wouldn't be able to assist any further.

We hope you write a review though so that other members know about their practices before they decide to hire them.


Brendon M.

Angie's List

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy