Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/7/2017

Hourly rate for carpenter in Maine

General contractor doing repairs, painting jacking of buildings

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


I am general contractor doing a variey of work restoring historic homes. Including stone foundation resetting, jacking of the buildings, replacing post and beam frames, restoring lead painted surfaces, with lead safe personal according to federal standards, window and door replacement. Charging $35.00 per hour per man including helpers.

Answered 3 years ago by thegeneral46


thegeneral46 gave you $35/hour - that is proably a pretty fair average handyman and miscellaneous small job "fix-it" general contractor rate - moving up to more in the $50/hour range commonly for full-capability general contractor billing rates - and that or more in very high priced areas. This would be for a substantial amount of work - just an hour or two commonly you are looking at about a $200-250 minimum charge.

Of course for specialty trades - plumber, HVAC, electrician, etc you are commonly looking at around $75-150 minimum service charge for the first 1/2 to 1 hour, and similar rate per hour beyond that.

Jacking of buildings - if you mean a bit of adjusting posts and piers foundation in a crawlspace then a general contractor can usually handle that - if you mean jacking the whole house up by the walls to level it, replace rottten framing, or work on the foundation - that is not normal work for a routine general contractor - you want a specialty (as prime contractor or as a GC's sub) firm in the Foundation Repair or House Moving category.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy