Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/17/2017

How much can I expect to pay to fill in a Sunken livingroom

I have a 15x15 sunken living room on a slab under hardwood flooring. I want to raise it to the level of the flooring of the rest of the house. I need to know a ballpark $.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Price depends a lot on your specific

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


Price depends a lot on your job specifics, as well of course on your local building costs, which can very about 100-200% from cheapest to highest cost areas of the country.

Generally speaking, a fill-in wood substructure will typically run about $20-25/SF, plus maybe $700-1000 for a ventilation system if needed because of damp conditions in the existing walls or slab (talking basement conditions here). (Should have vapor barrier over the existing concrete regardless of ventilation with wood subfloor over concrete).

Concrete fill will be on the order of $5-7/SF for the first 3-4 inches thickness (which includes the job setup/prep and concrete finishing costs), plus about maybe $0.40-0.60/SF for each additional inch of thickness to get to the height you want, assuming a concrete mixer truck can get within about 10 feet of the basement - maybe $250-500 additional on the total job cost if not so they have to bring in a concrete pumper to pump it into the basement.

These costs do not include any finish flooring or fancy concrete finish, of course - just the raised subfloor or slab.

Here are a few links to previous similar questions which might help -

A Remodeling - General Contractor would be your normal contractor for this - or if you intend to do the interiuor finishes and to provide/repair any openings needed in the wall to bring in materials or for concrete chute or pump hose, then a Carpenter - Framing or Concrete - Pouring and Repair contractor, as applicable.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy