Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/15/2012

How do I find a kitchen/bathroom designer that will put together plans for a DIY?

I am looking for a kitchen/bathroom designer (zip 77546) that can put plans together so my wife and I can do a remodel of both our kitchen and master bathroom on a DIY timeframe/budget.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Voted Best Answer

If you don't want the professional services of an architect to ensure your project meets your design needs, you can work directly with the provider of the cabinetry.

Lowes & Home Depot have free CAD services using their cabinets. They will take the room sizes and plumbing locations you provide, and create a simple plan to show where the appliances, cabinets, etc will be located. Remember, these plans are a way to best utilize their supplies in your space-they are working to make their product fit your project.

Going to an actual supplier you will get the same free service as Lowes, but these people tend to do a better job because that is their main job; they tend to know all the parts, trim options and problems people run into. This 'free' service, is done of course because they want you to buy their products. So be sure not to abuse their help (ask for redraws, extra copies, change your design often, etc), especially if do not plan to purchase from them.

Professional designers try to provide solutions for you, then find the product that fits that solution. If you are remodeling just to update your kitchen, go directly to the supplier or Lowes. If you don't like your kitchen or bath layout, have problems with your areas, etc. you would be served by finding an professional to help you design and set your budget.

Good luck!

Answered 8 years ago by Kenny Johnson


Searching Angie's List and your BBB will help you find a designer that is reputable. Then you'll have to call and interview a few of them to look at their work and of design. Many designers have a type of work they specialize in such as modern, rustic, etc. While they all have been taught how to design multiple types of projects some excel in certain than others so look at their work.

If you aren't changing the layout (moving plumbing and electrical) you will be fine going to a design center in any major cabinet retailer as Kenny suggested. Many also have an onsite measuring service where they will go to your home and take the measurements for you. They do charge for this services but it is much less than an architect or interior designer would charge. If you don't have the ability to draw an existing floor plan of the kitchen and bathroom with detail and precise measurements hire them to measure it for you. That way if there are fitment problems later you have someone else to go to for a solution. Otherwise, they'll just blame it on the measurements you provide.

Todd Shell
Todd's Home Services

Answered 8 years ago by Todd's Home Services


Try an online interior designer.

Many interior designers offer virtual eDesign services enabling very affordable professional consultation via phone, email and online exchange of specifications, drawings, plans and sources.

You'll find several of these providers on Angie's List under interior designers.



Answered 8 years ago by HMDhome

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy